Car Manufacturing in Tennessee
People working at Nissan plant in Smyrna
We talked about farming and mining. But farming and mining are merely a small percentage of Tennessee's products.
These days, people make their particular living making things or creating a service for other people. And although this falls more within the category of business economics than it can location, it is crucial to say this once you speak about the fundamental products of Tennessee.
Not long ago there clearly wasn't most of an automobile business in Tennessee. If you bought a car within the 1970s, opportunities had been that almost none for the automobile parts had been built in Tennessee, or made in the Southern for that matter. Cars and automotive components had been produced in the northeast, using business centered in Detroit, Michigan.
The Nissan groundbreaking in 1980
PICTURE: TN State Library and Archives
This started to change in 1980, when Nissan revealed it was building a vehicle system plant in Smyrna.
A couple of years later on General Motors announced it absolutely was creating a plant in Spring Hill that will build an innovative new brand of vehicle known as Saturn.
Those two announcements helped move the auto business southward. These days almost every automobile manufacturer has a large set up plant inside southeast usa. At these flowers, a huge number of individual parts are put collectively making into vehicles. At the same time, the parts on their own were created at manufacturing flowers everywhere.
A worker at the Decherd engine plant
PHOTO: TN Department of ECD
Listed here are five examples of vehicle parts flowers in Tennessee:
* In Decherd (Coffee County), 1, 400 people work at a plant that makes motors for Nissan vehicles.
* In Lawrenceburg (Lawrence County), about 700 folks just work at the DURA Automotive Glass plant, making vehicle and truck windows.
* In La Vergne (Rutherford County), almost 2, 000 people work on a Bridgestone/Firestone plant making vehicle and automobile tires.
* In Bristol (Sullivan County), around 755 individuals just work at Exide Corporation, which makes car and vehicle electric batteries.
* as well as in Pulaski (Giles County), 278 people make chair cushions in the Johnson Controls plant.
There are many more examples. These days the Tennessee division of financial and Community Development calcuates there are almost 130, 000 Tennesseans utilized in the automobile industry. This quantity is (hopefully) going up, whilst the condition continues to recruit auto business jobs to Tennessee. But these tasks tend to be extremely desired, and each various other state around Tennessee attempts to hire a number of the same organizations.
Is it dangerous to do your own car repair? - Quora
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, auto mechanics have an annual fatal accident rate of 4.3 per 100,000, about equal to that of plumbers. Chart here: